Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Thing #2 : Evaluate Information

I've been evaluating / reviewing printed materials and web sites for so long that I do it without even realizing it.  It's so ingrained that the evaluation process is always running in the back of my brain and analyzing the information the front of my brain is digesting.

Most of the "official" web site evaluation forms are to complicated for the students I work with.  Even Kathy Schrock's form is to long.  It could also use an update - not many people dial into the Internet any longer.

My favorite is the 5 Ws of Web Evaluation.  I've used this one before and since many students are already familar with the 5 Ws for writing they don't have much trouble transitioning to the 5 Ws for the Web.  

All of the sites in my previous post passed muster.  That didn't surprise me since I'd jetzoned any number of them  before writing the post.

And as to how to help student "internalize" this process?  I wish there was a magic pill but till it is invented I think the best methods are "modeling" and "think alouds".   Anyone who works with elementary students is very used to doing "think alouds" since it's a very effective way for students to learn.

1 comment:

  1. I like your 5 W's evaluation form. I may "steal" it! Thanks for getting started. I'm looking forward to using some of your ideas! SM

    ReplyDelete